Monday, July 04, 2011

Postcard from Hampton Court: Press Day

The garden that wasn't: a 'show feature' rather than a show garden, 'A Garden By Night' is easy to miss as it isn't in the show brochure and only a sign outside an otherwise unremarkable tent at the end of the main avenue of show gardens announces its existence.

But don't miss it: it's quite unlike anything I've ever seen at a flower show before.

Inside a tent, the blazing sun outside blacked out, you entered a twilight world of shadows where you fully expected bats to swoop through the dusk catching moths. And it elevated garden lighting to an art form: Neil Wilkins, glass sculptor, is a very, very talented man. Pure theatre.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent pic - although I didn't have time to go into the unremarkable tent (although stood outside it for a long while looking for my husband who I had temporarily 'mislaid', I did collect a press release from the press room. Hope you enjoyed the show.

The Constant Gardener said...

Thanks Ann - sorry you didn't get to see it, it really was something special. Hope you found your husband again before he got into any trouble :D

Lovely to see you and your husband there and hope you enjoyed the rest of your day!

Arabella Sock said...

That is an excellent picture - I have a similar one.. similar only inasmuch as it is of the same subject but as setting my camera properly is beyond my capabilities I ended up with a rather strange and unrecognisable blue of lights and colours.

The Garden by Night really did offer something different.

Related Posts with Thumbnails